Thursday, 3 June 2010

I LOVE BOOKS

I love books.
OK, I absolutely love books.
I have so many I don't know where to put them. Well, I do, but it doesn't fit in with the family home. If I had my way I'd have wall to wall books.
I'm addicted to paperbacks so I bought an eReader.
I'm still buying paperbooks - and downloading.
I was happily browsing the book shelf yesterday when I started picking out books I've read over and over - whether they be novels or reference, I want to share them, I hope you don't mind.

"Catcher in the Rye" by J.D Salinger being one - bought at a flea market in Bath over 15 years ago.

"Jamaica Inn" by Daphne Du Maurier bought in an cute independent book shop in Devon

"Henry and June" by Anais Nin, first borrowed back in the mid 1990's from Bath Library when I was still a Sociology student. My own copy is now a well thumbed paperback with markers in all my favourite pages.

"Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs" by Jeremy Mercer. A brilliant journal by the Canadian writer detailing his experiences in Paris while working at Shakespeare and Company.

Right, OK, I bought this little gem in Coco de Mer in Covent Garden a few years back. The gorgeous girl on the front is Deanna Baker (circa 1972) and she blew me away. Her legacy is "Lily Mills", the main female character in 'A Love That Makes Life Drunk'.

"The Joy of Writing Sex" by Elizabeth Benedict, because I chuckle when I say, 'writing sex is my bread and butter', and despite what critics think, writing a sex scene is the most difficult thing, and so it's crucial to get it right.

"A Literate Passion - Letters of Anais Nin and Henry Miller", I bought this from a very small musty bookshop in Hay on Wye back in the mid 1990's, but only started reading it 4 years ago. It sparked the plot for my debut novel.

"Debrett's Etiquette for Girls" by Fleur Britten. I have to say I bought this because I loved the cover - and inside is even better - it may sound pretty terrible, but actually there's some great advice. Well worth a visit.

Well, I could go on, but the books I've featured are ones I keep going back too, and still love as much today as the day I bought them.
Have a great day,
Karen
X

Fizz Time

It's been a slightly testing evening, so now the kids are calming down (and me!) I think I'll settle down to a little glass of fi...