Monday, 9 August 2010

Evie To The Lighthouse...

(picture by Janet McEwan)
I want to talk a little about my new book 'Hope & Jump'.

As you may know it's set in the beautiful Cornish town of St Ives, but during my many (often dark) hours of editing this novel, I realised I focus on a particular building more than any other...
Godrevy Lighthouse.
For those who know the area, if you turn off the A30 at Hayle and head to Gwithian, you'll come across the sign above. Follow until reaching this...
This spectacular lighthouse apparently inspired Virginia Woolf's 'To The Lighthouse'
and is situated close to the beautiful sands of Gwithian, and looks over to St Ives.
My love affair with Godrevy Lighthouse began about 3 years ago whilst staying in a gorgeous B&B called 'Seaforth' on Skidden Hill. I looked out of our bedroom window to this...
and this...
and Evie's house was created.

I 'borrowed' a few of the quirky coastal living interiors from this luxury Boho B&B - the quaint fireplaces, the piled pebbles in the doorway, the original Artwork on the walls, the perfect conifers at the black front door, and of course the views to Godrevy.
However, Evie also created alot of the house herself - the driftwood furniture, the cream Aga, the log fire in the bathroom, and most importantly her Artist's studio that also has those views of the lighthouse (which incidentally disappears when a sea mist eerily rolls in).
This place is perfect for Evie as she paints, sips Camel Valley Atlantic, snacks on toasted herby nuts Jamie O style while listening to Nashville Skyline by Bob Dylan.
I think you'll like her.
Karen
X
Related Posts with Thumbnails