Sunday, 16 January 2011

The Redhead

After almost 10 years of being blonde I'm going back to Red.

What was it that Mark Twain said...
"While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

Growing up with auburn hair was hard. Tell me a joke/stereotype/put down about red hair and I bet I've heard them all - but that was never my reason for going blonde - oh no, that was an accident, and then I thought, why not, and kind of liked it.

See, the cool thing about me being a blonde was that undeneath I was always a redhead - it always made for interesting conversation, and did I have more fun...I couldn't possibly say, but now it's right to go back to what I know, and this time I'm ready.

I flirted with my roots back when I created "Lily" in A Love That Makes Life Drunk. Those of you who have read the book (thank you!) will know she is auburn and unashamedly inspired by the beautiful Deanna Baker - Playboy Centrefold Miss May 1972. I tried to make it work for me back then but it just wasn't happening for me. I had forgotten I looked a little more fair skinned with red hair, and that you get called that most disgusting word "ginger" (what the??).

Now, well, a woman in my mid-30's and happy in my own skin, I'm going to be brave about this, after all, as a photographer at Playboy once said,
"Redheads are like other women  - only more so. The first thing you notice is a soft fire around their faces- an auburn halo that vibrates in high gear. A kind of heat that has nothing to do with temperature radiates from them like a visual perfume, a curious, insistent allure."

I am not going to argue with that.
Karen.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Related Posts with Thumbnails