Thursday, 9 February 2012

I STILL LOVE MANCHESTER!

Growing up in the Midlands was pretty uninspiring for me. The industrial town in which I was born was particularly dull, a place I could not wait to escape from.
Then came 'Madchester', and boy, did life a get a little more exciting.
I was 15 when I first heard The Stone Roses, I was stydying for my GCSE's, and still aiming to be a Journalist.
But this music scene wasn't just about the music, although this was hugely influencial on me and the route my life later took, it also introduced me to a city that even today I adore - Manchester.
Over the past 20 plus years I have spent a fair bit of time in Manchester. At one point in time we almost moved there - but it wasn't to be, and Cheshire was a far as we got.
Yesterday, I was trying to pack for our holiday when I found myself reading through an old manuscript. Around 2005 (pregnant with son number 1), I was Manchester mad. We'd spent alot of time there during 2003 and 2004 and so my head was aswim with the place. Reading those manuscripts made me pine. It made me remember how that City moulded me, probably created who I am today, including how I write.
Sadly it's been a few years now since we've made that trip up North, and in truth, I miss it. Very much.
I miss the coolness, the accent, the shops, the deli's, the bars, the Cornerhouse, the Northern Quarter, Piccadilly Gardens, the Lowry Centre, the tram, oh everything!
In another life this would have been my home.
I think I need to get myself back up there, even for a few days.
Thank goodness for memories.
X

Fizz Time

It's been a slightly testing evening, so now the kids are calming down (and me!) I think I'll settle down to a little glass of fi...